Yesterday I was given an iPad to do some research. For those of you who don’t know, I work at an institution for higher education which is a fancy way of saying university. What we are trying to do is determine the usability factor for a student. Here are some of the things we were asked to do:
- Create/manage a blog
- Download various apps from newspapers to games
- Read and e-book and view multiple PDF’s
- Browse the internet
- Explore iTunes and iTunesU
- Play with Google (Gmail, chat, docs, wave, etc.)
- Take notes, write a document
- Find education related apps
So far I have only had it for a day, so my notes are limited. Here are a few:
- The interface is identical to the iPhone or iPod Touch so no worries there.
- If you trust the keyboard, you’re typing will improve drastically.
- I left a page in Safari to grab a link from another page and my unsaved blog post disappeared because of the refresh when I came back to it. Keep that in mind.
- Video is amazing as well as the video apps themselves like ABC 7 and Netflix.
- You CAN post images and videos to blog posts.
- If the site is optimized, it looks really clean, like Posterous for example.
With that said, I will have much more to say later. Until then, I leave you with this video, on of my favorites.